ActiveCampaign doesn’t have any built-in E-Commerce features. Which means if you want to sell an online course, membership program or any other type of digital product, you’ll need to use a separate piece of software to be able to sell anything.
The good news is you can use WooCommerce and ActiveCampaign’s Woocommerce plugin to be able to do this. This is available for free to all ActiveCampaign users who are on a Plus, Professional or Enterprise level plan.
Throughout this article we’ll show you how to use WooCommerce, ActiveCampaign and Memberium for ActiveCampaign together to sell your membership program or course.
This post includes an in-depth tutorial that will show you…
- How to sell an online course for a one time fee and deliver access to that course automatically after with Memberium for ActiveCampaign. The same process can be used for selling ebooks, or any digital product sold for a one time fee.
- How to sell a subscription based product, like a membership site, and how to deliver access to that membership site after automatically. We’ll also cover how to sell trial memberships with WooCommerce and ActiveCampaign.
It’s worth noting, if you’re planning on selling a subscription product with your Memberium for ActiveCampaign site, you’ll need to use the paid add on from WooCommerce called WooCommerce Subscriptions, to be able to do that.
WooCommerce is one of the most popular and widely supported E-Commerce plugins for WordPress. With the Woocommerce ActiveCampaign plugin and deep data integration, you can trigger off actions and automations from ActiveCampaign automatically, after someone purchases a specific product from you. Or you can use it trigger off an abandoned cart follow up sequence.
How does WooCommerce Work With Memberium For ActiveCampaign?
With Memberium for ActiveCampaign, this allows you to deliver access to your course or membership site automatically after someone buys it. In a nutshell the way this works after someone buys is they’ll get an ActiveCampaign tag applied to their record (their membership level tag), then they’ll get a welcome email with their login details and other instructions on how to get started automatically. You can then follow up after automatically about the next steps they should take and what else they get with the course or membership they just purchased.
The WooCommerce Deep Data integration is available for free with ActiveCampaign’s Plus, Professional and Enterprise plans. Again, if you’re planning on selling a subscription product with your Memberium for ActiveCampaign site, you’ll need to use the paid add on from WooCommerce called WooCommerce Subscriptions, to be able to do that.
Merchant Accounts That Work With ActiveCampaign’s WooCommerce Plugin
The other thing that you’ll need to use WooCommerce with ActiveCampaign is a merchant account. You can integrate any of your preferred merchant accounts with WooCommerce. Such as Stripe, Square, Authorize.Net, PayPal and others. If you’re just getting started you can sign up for Stripe for free. Here’s some some simple instructions on how to install and configure Stripe with WooCommerce.
With that said, let’s dive in and show you how to use WooCommerce with Memberium for ActiveCampaign…
Beginning Steps: How to Setup and Configure the ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce plugin
The first steps are you’ll need to configure the settings in your ActiveCampaign account and in the ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce plugin after you install it. Follow these steps to complete this part…
Steps to configure your ActiveCampaign account
Steps to configure the WooCommerce for ActiveCampaign plugin
- Login to your WordPress site as an admin and go to Plugins
- Click the ‘Add New’ button. Search for the plugin called ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce by ActiveCampaign and then install and activate the plugin.
- After installing the plugin go to Settings -> ActiveCampaign for WooCommerce
- Update your ActiveCampaign API URL and API Key from Connections tab and click the Update Settings button
- From Store Settings tab you can select how long you want ActiveCampaign to wait before triggering ‘Abandoned Cart’ automation
Once you set this up, all your orders and abandoned carts will be synced between WooCommerce and ActiveCampaign. WooCommerce Deep Data Integration automatically applies a tag named woocommerce-customer automatically to all the users it adds.
Now you’re all set up and are ready to create your products to sell!
How to Create an Online Course or Subscription Product with WooCommerce for ActiveCampaign + Memberium
Whether you’re planning on selling an online course product for a one time fee or a recurring subscription product, they both follow the same steps except for one step at the end.
Before you create any automation in ActiveCampaign you’ll create your product inside of WooCommerce.
To do this go to ‘Products’ in the sidebar and then click the ‘Add New’ button to create your product.
On this page, you can set the price that you want to sell your course for in the WooCommerce product settings section and will want to check the “Virtual” box if you’re selling a course or digital product.
You can also set any other relevant settings you want to set such as a product description, featured image or anything else.
How do you create a Subscription product with WooCommerce for ActiveCampaign?
By itself, WooCommerce doesn’t have the ability to create subscriptions. If you want to sell subscriptions for your membership site, we recommend you use the extension called WooCommerce Subscriptions. It’s a paid extension that you’ll need to buy separately. Once you have it setup you can create different subscription products and offer trial subscription offers.
It will also allow you to do a lot of other useful things like generate revenue reports, automatically rebill failed payments, allow members to be able to manage their own subscription, including upgrading or downgrading their membership and much more.
Here’s how to create a subscription product with WooCommerce Subscriptions. You choose “Simple Subscription” as pictured below, then choose your price and other settings that you’d like.
Now you’re ready to create your automation in ActiveCampaign! This will give someone access to your Memberium site automatically after they purchase your course or membership site.
How to Create Your Automation in ActiveCampaign:
- Go to Automations and click on the ‘New Automation’ button
- Select the ‘Start from Scratch’ option and then click the ‘Continue’ button
- Select the ‘Make a purchase’ trigger. Or if you want to set up an abandoned cart sequence, you would select the ‘Abandons Cart’ trigger. Then click the ‘Continue’ button. The ‘Make a purchase’ trigger will start an automation upon a successful sale. While the ‘Abandons Cart’ trigger is used to trigger an automation when someone abandons your cart.
- Select your site from the dropdown list.
- Check the segment box as shown in the below screenshot. Then select ‘Ecommerce’
- Then select the ‘Product Name in Any Order’ option
- Enter the exact product name in the empty field on the right and then click the ‘Add Start’ button. The product name is the exact name that you’ve added for the product in WooCommerce.
- Now you can add any actions and follow up that you want to automate after.
- You’ll want to apply the specific membership level tag they should get to give them access to that section on your site.
- Then you’ll want to add your webhook that will automatically generate a password for them that they can use to login to your Memberium site.
- Then you’re ready to send their welcome email with their login info with how they can get started. After this you can automate any other onboarding emails and follow up that you want to send them.
That’s it! After this, you should now be ready to start selling your membership site or online course with Memberium for ActiveCampaign. Huzzah!
Other E-Commerce Platforms Available for ActiveCampaign
One of the other most popular e-commerce options for ActiveCampaign is ThriveCart. Here’s a detailed post on how to use Memberium for ActiveCampaign with ThriveCart.
ActiveCampaign also integrates with other E-Commerce platforms like BigCommerce and Shopify. Unlike WooCommerce these options are not free. Also, for selling subscription products on these platforms you’ll need to use additional app.
WooCommerce for ActiveCampaign plugin is a handy tool for ActiveCampaign users.
Hope this was helpful for you, now good luck selling your membership site or course!